This California Privacy Notice for California Residents (“Privacy Notice”) explains how Camunda Services GmbH and its subsidiaries (“Camunda,” “we,” “us” and “our”) collect, use, and disclose personal information relating to California residents including but not limited to, offline and online, covered by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and the California Civil Code section 1798.83.
Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice. California residents with disabilities may access this notice in an alternative format by contacting privacy@Camunda.com.
As the CCPA is not yet final, this Privacy Notice reflects our good faith understanding of the CCPA as of the date of last revision reflected in the Change Log in Section VI below. Camunda will continue to revise our Privacy Notice to reflect the development of the CCPA and our understanding as to how it relates to our data practices.
- Collection and Disclosure of Personal Information
- How Camunda uses the collected information
- How Camunda shares information
- Cookies and Website Automatic Data Collection
- Access to specific information and data portability rights
- Deletion request rights
- Exercising access, data portability and deletion rights
- Authorized agents
- Verifiable Consumer Requests
- Response timing and format
- Sale of Personal Information
- Changes to this Privacy Notice
- How to Exercise Your Rights
This Statement provides the categories of Personal Information Camunda collected, disclosed, sold (if any), and a description of users’ rights over the past 12 months.
This Statement does not cover Personal Information processed as a CCPA “service provider” in connection with the use of Camunda’s products and services that have been deployed by one of Camunda’s business customers. The agreement between Camunda and the applicable organization outlines Camunda’s commitments as a service provider.
Collection and Disclosure of Personal Information
The specific Personal Information that Camunda collects, uses, and discloses depends on our relationship or interaction with the user. In the past 12 months, Camunda may have collected, and disclosed the following categories of Personal Information to third parties for our business purposes:
- Identifiers, such as name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol (IP) address, email address or other similar identifiers;
- Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)), such as contact information and financial information, name, signature, employment;
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law, such as sex and marital status;
- Commercial information, such as transaction information and products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies;
- Internet or network activity information, such as browsing history and information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement;
- Geolocation data, such as approximate device location (derived from an IP address);
- Sensory data, audio, electronic, visual and similar information, such as call and video recordings;
- Professional or employment-related information, such as work history and prior employer;
- Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99), such as student records and directory information.
We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Contacting us by phone, email or otherwise. When users communicate with Camunda via our Contact page, complete surveys, fill out any “free” boxes, users provide content, full name, email address, job title, company name, industry, phone number and company number of employees.
- Newsletters and White Papers. Camunda provides users with the opportunity to stay informed about Camunda’s upcoming meetings and developments in the workflow-automation field via our newsletters and white papers.
- Training, Events and Webinars. When customers register for our training, events or webinars through our website, Camunda collects Personal Information in order to provide and manage these services.
- Forum. Users have the opportunity to exchange information with other interested parties about questions relating to Camunda software. When a user registers for the forum, Camunda records their email address and their user name. If a user posts to a forum, the user’s chosen username is displayed, and is therefore viewable by the public. The contribution they have submitted can also be downloaded by any interested party, together with the time of posting. However, the user’s email address is not published.
- Social Media Pages. Through users’ use of social media and/or other websites such as Twitter, GitHub, Stack overflow, Vimeo, Facebook or LinkedIn, depending on users’ settings or the privacy policies of these websites. To change settings on these services, please refer to their respective privacy notices.
If you decide that you do not wish to receive communications from us, simply follow the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions contained in any of our communications or email us at privacy@Camunda.com.
Note, if you do not provide the mandatory Personal Information for a particular activity, we may not be able to offer the required information for you to engage in that activity. Data processing agreements exist with all these third-party providers, based on the current standards prescribed in the California Consumer Privacy Act.
How Camunda uses the collected information
If you elect to provide Camunda with Personal Information, we may use it as needed to provide services to you. These uses are based in our legitimate business interests in providing services to you and/or fulfillment of our contractual obligation to deliver services you have requested. We have balanced these business needs carefully with your privacy rights and these uses do not improperly infringe on your privacy and confidentiality rights. We may use your Personal Information in the following ways:
- to quickly process user requests for information and to allow us to respond efficiently to user questions;
- to enhance your user experience of the website, improve the operation of the website, our service offerings and our marketing efforts;
- to respond to employment inquiries or applications. Our online job applications are made available via an applicant portal provided by “Workable”;
- to monitor the website statistics;
- to provide information to service providers or such companies who provide support for the operations of our website and who do not use or disclose the information for any other purpose; or
- to allow us to disclose your information to the extent permitted by law.
How Camunda shares information
- to enable trusted third-parties that provide services on our behalf or with whom we have collaborated to offer a particular service;
- we use internet analysis and marketing services (such as Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager) to assess our website call-ups and to optimize our services. With Google Analytics, the user’s IP address is processed and transferred in an anonymized form.
- we use Inbound-Marketing and Sales Software to optimize our marketing campaigns. Information generated by the cookie regarding use of the website may be transmitted to our Service Provider’s server and stored there. Personal Information will only be collected and enriched if the user completes a form on one of the websites. In this case, in addition to the Personal Information the user enters himself, the user’s IP address will also be saved.
- for scheduling and conducting our Online Events, Webinars and Online Trainings and Workshops, we use service providers. Service Providers also help manage registrations, reminders and webinar attendee information (e.g. how to attend the webinar) or provide a platform;
- we also allow users to follow us on different social media platforms via a link to social media profiles (Twitter, LinkedIn, GitHub, Stack Overflow and Vimeo). We have not implemented Like- Share- or other social media buttons. Please note that any information you disclose through such services or otherwise on the website becomes public information, and may be available to visitors to the website and to the general public. In addition, when you choose to make a posting on such services certain Personal Information will be available for other users to view. We urge you to exercise discretion and caution when deciding to disclose Personal Information about you, or any other information, on the website. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY ANY THIRD PARTY OF ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION YOU VOLUNTARILY DISCLOSE THROUGH ANY SUCH SERVICES OR OTHERWISE ON THE SITE;
- if we believe in good faith that it is required by law enforcement or judicial authorities, or if it is necessary to comply with other legal requirements;
- to help prevent the instigation of a crime, to help facilitate an investigation related to public safety, to help protect the safety of a child using our website, to help protect the security or integrity of our website, or to enable us to take precautions against liability;
- to prevent or investigate suspected fraud, illegal activity, violations of this Privacy Notice, or activity that we believe in good faith may expose us to legal liability;
- during any merger, acquisition, or transfer of substantially all our assets, or during negotiations for such an event; or
- with your express consent.
Cookies and Website Automatic Data Collection
Access to specific information and data portability rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your Personal Information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, a separate list disclosing:
- sales, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
- We do not sell Personal Information.
Deletion request rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
You may object to Camunda using your Personal Information for the above purposes at any time by contacting privacy@Camunda.com. If you do so, Camunda will cease using your Personal Information for the above purposes (i.e., under a legitimate interest set out above) and remove it from its systems unless such Personal Information is permitted to be used by Camunda for another purpose set out in this Privacy Notice or Camunda determines and demonstrates a compelling legitimate interest to continue in processing your Personal Information.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising access, data portability and deletion rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by contacting privacy@Camunda.com.
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information if you provide the authorized agent written permission signed by you or pursuant to a valid Power of Attorney. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. When you use an authorized agent to submit a request, we may require you to:
- Provide the authorized agent signed permission to do so.
- Verify their own identity directly with the business.
- Directly confirm with the business that they provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
Verifiable Consumer Requests
The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative (such as your name and email address).
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information related to you. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period.
Response timing and format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Information that is readily usable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Sale of Personal Information
We do not sell Personal Information. For purposes of this Privacy Notice, “sell” means the disclosure of Personal Information to a third-party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for services or a different level or quality of services.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may, in our sole discretion, modify or revise this Privacy Notice at any time. Such changes or updates are effective immediately after we give notice of the change or update, which we may do by revising the Change Log in Section VI or by otherwise posting on the website, by email, conventional mail and/or by any other means that provides reasonable notice. If you are subscribed to one of our mailings, you must provide us with your correct email address and make sure that emails from us are not filtered from your inbox by your ISP or email software. You agree that your use of the website, after the date such notice is posted, means that you accept and agree to be bound by such modifications or revisions to the Privacy Notice. You agree that we shall not be liable to you for any damages that might result from any changes to this Privacy Notice, if any.
January 2022: This Privacy Notice was amended to explain terminology on data sale.
How to Exercise Your Rights
If you are a California resident, you may submit a request by contacting Camunda by email at email@example.com or via postal mail to:
Camunda Services GmbH
Zossener Strasse 55-58
Or phone: +49 30 664 04 09 – 00
Effective Date: October 12, 2020