Get Control of your RPA Bots
Cut RPA bot maintenance costs, minimize technical debt and modernize your architecture with Camunda Platform
RPA & The End-to-End Process Gap
Robotic Process Automation (also known as RPA) is a much-hyped technology, and the underlying value proposition is indeed compelling. The ability to automate tedious, manual tasks such as data entry that must be completed using legacy software systems with no API can (at least in the short-term) provide enterprises with measurable benefits. Employees will spend less time and energy on low-value work and can focus on strategic projects instead.
While RPA’s core use case solves a real problem, there are key considerations like when the number of RPA bots grows, or teams attempt more complex automation activities, RPA bots quickly become brittle, require a high level of maintenance and add to existing technical debt.
Camunda can help.
Process automation lifecycle support for RPA Modernization
Camunda Platform provides a lifecycle approach to designing, orchestrating, analyzing and monitoring your RPA bots as they run today. In addition, Camunda provides an architectural path forward that replaces RPA bots with APIs/microservices in the future. We call this the RPA Modernization Journey.
- End-to-end process design: Create, edit, and collaborate on process diagrams that include RPA tasks alongside BPMN tasks to get a complete end-to-end process view.
- RPA script orchestration: Orchestrate RPA scripts as part of BPMN processes quickly with an out-of-the-box integration now with UiPath and Automation Anywhere.
- Operational visibility into RPA bot activities: Provide alerts and centrally monitor and analyze RPA bot activities.
- RPA analytics and insights: Optimize end-to-end process automation through analytics and reporting across legacy systems, RPA vendors and other process components.
Orchestrate RPA Bots…Really Anything
The key to automating a process end-to-end, across all people or systems, is orchestration. Camunda is able to orchestrate anything, let it be humans, (micro-)services, IoT devices, AI/ML components, or RPA bots. Camunda solves this problem because it is a universal automation layer that can orchestrate the work of any human or system participant of a business process. Because real-world business processes often include many different types of tasks beyond the scope of an RPA product, including but not limited to:
- Tasks that must be completed by a human (for example, manually checking order data for regulatory reasons)
- Tasks performed by an external system that can be completed via an API integration (for example, initiating an invoice in SAP)
- Events that trigger a process (such as an incoming order), or that we are waiting for in the course of a process (such as the receipt of payment), or that could happen unexpectedly (such as the cancellation of an order)
Camunda works side-by-side with your RPA tool to ensure that you benefit from RPA in process execution without losing sight of the overall process.
When an organization is ready to integrate an RPA tool with Camunda Platform to model, execute, and monitor end-to-end business processes, the Enterprise Edition is fully supported by our team of workflow automation experts, and our experienced consulting team is available to help with every step of the integration.
Camunda also provides onsite training to ensure that your team has all the skills necessary to implement workflow automation with Camunda Platform and your RPA tool.
Interested in using Camunda to supplement your RPA tool and create end-to-end workflows?
Fill out the form below to get in touch with an expert.
Beyond RPA: How to Build Toward End-to-end Process Automation
Today’s RPA market is vast. It’s becoming imperative to differentiate RPA from workflow engines because when it comes to end-to-end process automation, you are looking at a set of different problems that require a diverse set of tools.
This whitepaper explores the best applications of RPA, as part of a wider digital transformation journey toward end-to-end process automation.