Replace Homegrown Workflow Automation Software
Camunda gives developers flexibility and scalability while also providing powerful interfaces for non-technical stakeholders.
When an organization first decides to implement workflow automation, it’s common for a development team to build software from scratch to address a repeatable and well-defined process.
At first glance, this homegrown approach is a logical starting point; the software can be tailored to address the organization’s unique business requirements without the constraints of vendor technology or an external framework, and the company’s developers have complete control over the application’s lifecycle.
But the approach has drawbacks that become apparent as transaction volume increases and the workflows become more complex.
- The workflows are often hard-coded and not easily customizable, which limits the organization’s agility.
- Many complex development issues need to be resolved, such as configuring service call retries, handling timeouts, correlating incoming messages to waiting workflow instances, and more.
- Scalability problems are likely to occur, and detection and handling of errors requires additional tooling.
- A business-friendly visualization of the workflows either won’t be provided or will require extensive effort to develop.
- A stable and well-documented API that enables the workflow system to be called by other systems either doesn’t exist or requires ongoing maintenance.
Both developers and business users need a solution that’s easy-to-use and customizable while addressing the hard technical problems in workflow automation–ensuring that no one wastes time reinventing the wheel.
Many organizations have replaced their homegrown workflow automation system with Camunda BPM.
Camunda was designed from the start with developers in mind:
- Camunda BPM can be used both as a standalone process engine server or embedded inside custom Java applications.
- Camunda BPM also provides a REST API so that non-Java developers can build applications that connect to a remote process engine.
- For high availability and scalability, Camunda can run on a distributed cluster while relying on one shared database.
Camunda takes care of business users, too, and Camunda BPM provides extensive tooling for non-developers:
- Camunda defines workflows using ISO-standard BPMN 2.0, providing a common language for technical and non-technical users.
- Cawemo enables business users to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to create, edit and specify BPMN process diagrams for developers to deploy.
- Camunda Modeler allows developers to edit BPMN process diagrams and DMN decision tables, and deploy workflows to the Camunda Engines to execute them.
- Camunda Optimize provides live monitoring and reports for business stakeholders so that no question about a process is left unanswered.
Camunda also includes a Decision Model and Notation (DMN) Decision Engine so that business users can define and maintain executable business rules that integrate directly with the workflow engine.
And Camunda BPM is open source under the Apache 2.0 License, which means you have direct access to the source code and a minimal vendor lock-in.
When an organization is ready to replace a homegrown workflow automation software with Camunda BPM, the Camunda Enterprise Platform is fully supported by our team of workflow automation experts, and our experienced consulting team is available to help with every step of the transition.
Camunda also provides onsite training to ensure that your team has all the skills necessary to implement workflow automation with Camunda.
Interested in using Camunda to replace your homegrown workflow automation system?
Fill out the form below to get in touch with an expert.
Case Study: 24 Hour Fitness
Headquartered in San Ramon, California, 24 Hour Fitness is a leading health club industry pioneer, serving nearly 4 million members in over 400 clubs across the U.S.
In this case study, you can learn how 24 Hour Fitness replaced their homegrown worfklow technology with Camunda BPM, now executing more than 20 million workflow instances per day.
Head of Application Development
We have never once questioned our decision to adopt Camunda BPM as a platform and make Camunda our BPM partner. Our IT management team as well as our developers agree that adopting this lightweight process engine with its excellent performance was the right decision.
Head of Business Technology Development
Create BPMN process diagrams and DMN decision tables and turn our models -on the shortest path- in a fast and stable executable application. Is there a smarter way to improve our business processes?
Get a quote, evaluation assistance or anything else that is on your mind.