Take Control of Your RPA Bots
Cut RPA maintenance costs, minimize technical debt, and modernize your architecture with Camunda.
RPA and the End-to-End Process Gap
Robotic process automation (RPA) is a popular technology for automating single tasks, often replacing manual keystrokes in software that cannot communicate with other systems or tools through APIs. RPA excels as a tactical solution to automate individual tasks that traditionally have been paper-based or have required manual input. With RPA, teams can selectively automate tasks without significant time investment or too much heavy lifting from IT. In the short term, RPA can provide an organization with measurable benefits, and can allow employees to spend less time and energy on low-value manual work, so they can focus on strategic projects instead.
However, most organizations encounter issues as the number of RPA bots grows and as teams take on increasingly complex automation projects. RPA bots quickly prove to be brittle, requiring a high level of maintenance and contributing to technical debt. Organizations struggle to manage bot security, keep RPA scripts up-to-date, and fix scripts when they break.
Camunda Supports RPA Modernization
Camunda takes a lifecycle approach to designing, orchestrating, analyzing, and monitoring RPA bots as they run today, plus an architectural path forward that replaces RPA bots in the future. We call this the RPA Modernization Journey:
Step 1: Get insight into your existing bots by using a process automation platform to monitor, alert on, and analyze RPA bot activities across your organization.
Step 2: Use the BPMN and DMN standards to orchestrate RPA bots in the same end-to-end process flows as other systems and endpoints.
Step 3: Take advantage of the process orchestration you have in place to gradually modernize by replacing RPA bots with APIs or microservices.
Take Control of Your RPA Bots with Camunda
- Create executable process models that include RPA tasks alongside BPMN tasks to get a complete end-to-end process view
- Collaborate across business and IT teams to design and share RPA process flows
- Streamline automation efforts by building a catalog of reusable RPA task templates
- Drastically increase workflow performance with a lightweight, lightning-fast execution engine that’s easy to scale up
- Take advantage of out-of-the-box support for popular RPA vendors such as UiPath and Automation Anywhere through the Camunda RPA Bridge
- Extend process orchestration to other RPA tools, including open-source software such as Robot Framework
- Monitor all process automation activity in one place, no matter where processes are being executed
- Provide business and IT stakeholders with customizable reports, dashboards, and alerts
- Get operational visibility into RPA bot activity and use RPA analytics to identify bottlenecks and improve processes
“ Camunda enables us to orchestrate the many RPA bots, APIs, and other tasks within our automated processes. The catalog for RPA services allows us to more easily integrate existing RPA bots into our processes and eventually completely replace them with more robust APIs.”
— Christoph Anzer, Project Manager RPA, Deutsche Telekom Service GmbH
Process Orchestration for RPA Bots and More
Real-world business processes often include many different types of tasks that are beyond the scope of an RPA tool, such as:
- Tasks that must be done by a person (for example, manually checking order data for regulatory reasons)
- Tasks that are performed by an external system and that can be completed via an API (for example, initiating an invoice in SAP)
- Events that trigger a process (such as an incoming order)
- Events that are waiting for something to happen in a process (such as receipt of payment)
- Events that can happen unexpectedly (such as the cancellation of an order)
Camunda is a universal orchestration layer for any participant in a real-world business process: people, microservices, IoT devices, AI/ML components, RPA bots, and more. Camunda works side-by-side with your RPA software to ensure that you benefit from RPA in process execution, without losing sight of the overall, end-to-end process.
Beyond RPA: How to Build Toward End-to-end Process Automation
Today’s RPA market is vast. It’s becoming imperative to differentiate RPA from workflow engines because when it comes to end-to-end process automation, you are looking at a set of different problems that require a diverse set of tools.
This whitepaper explores the best applications of RPA, as part of a wider digital transformation journey toward end-to-end process automation.
We’re Here to Help
Our team of experts is ready to help you build a process automation platform that excites your teams and works for your business. Our experienced consulting team can assist you with every step along the way. We also offer training to ensure your team has all the skills necessary to implement process automation with Camunda.
Ready to get started? Learn how to maximize your Camunda experience!
Get a quote, evaluation assistance or anything else that is on your mind.